Thursday, July 9, 2015

entropy and divinity

Since this is an LDS and science combo blog thing, I figured that when I stumbled across this link, I ought to share it. It presents examples of how church members differ in teaching their children, and allows me to comment on the fact that science and faith are both absolutely necessary for each other.

Perhaps I don't understand the universe in its fullness because I'm a first-year physics major who hasn't even taken college-level introductory physics other than my (excellently taught) high school AP physics class and arguably AP chemistry, with the same teacher who couldn't care less about exam scores but rather preferred to prepare us for university science. It has been well over a year since I last heard someone with a degree talk about entropy. But even from my tiny baby-hand grasp of the metaphorical thumb on the entire giant man that is entropy and the universe and all related topics, there was one thing on my mind, and it was this:
If, according to the laws that govern the universe, all things are naturally hurdling apart from each other on everything from molecular to astronomical levels, moving from higher potential energy to lower, how can there be so much order and so many things coming together without someone helping out?
I know, from a mathematical standpoint, you can argue that with infinite possibilities, assembling is bound to happen. Everything is bound to happen. Math. But even so, it's in every single detail. Yes, galaxies are all flying super duper scarily fast apart (I don't like thrill so I really try not to think about this nightmarish twist on bumper cars crossed with roller coasters that's been going on for billions of years; this ride ain't stopping anytime soon so I'll just panic quietly in my computer chair). If you build the Millennium Falcon out of Legos and shake it around a bunch, pieces will fly apart. But if you look at my phone call history, if you look at the order of the planet system and babies being born and long-lost lovers and people meeting missionaries at the perfect time and just everything that is so deeply detailed and so important and so beautiful, well, how can you deny a God?

I'm not saying that the earth was built in 6 days and has been around for 6000 years. The Bible, especially the Old Testament, is so chock full of symbols that I just don't get why that's the one thing Christianity takes so dang literally. I honestly look forward to the day that I'll actually remember the creation I observed with wide eyes, excited and nervous for the day that I would take up my mortal body and learn and grow and experience all that physicality has to offer. I'm just saying that I cannot deny a God, not just because I've felt it in my heart and feel it as I type, not simply because my parents raised me bringing me to church every Sunday. I know it because it makes so much logical sense. I cannot deny science, but I also cannot deny my faith. The world's climate is changing, and likely to bring about divine purposes in these latter days. The stars shine, wave/particles from light-years away hitting my retinas, all creations of a divine Father.

There is too much order to deny His existence. His presence is in every single stitch that weaves together the fabric of the universe. He knows me so perfectly and so intimately and everything the last couple of weeks has happened so perfectly ordered that I cannot deny the divine intervention of a loving Father in Heaven. I testify of His flawless love. I know He has known all of His children from the beginning of eternity. And if you look, both eyes of faith and science wide open, you'll see it.

And if any of my non-Mormon friends or followers have read this far, I open any inbox I have to you. None of this is secret Mormon stuff, I just understand that it can sound a little crazy without the context of the gospel. It is to you that I extend the same invitation of the Savior Himself, Jesus Christ: "Come and see."

Suggested reading if you like this kind of stuff:
Jesus the Christ by James E Talmage, Ch 11, section "Miracles in General" (last section) and Note 7 (very end of chapter)

No comments:

Post a Comment